Wednesday, December 15, 2010

i want to be a mom who

childhood


I want to be a mom who reads to her kids

I want to be a mom who prays with her kids

I want to be a mom who has a life outside of her kids

I want to be a mom who demonstrates creativity for her kids

I want to be a mom who sings with her kids

I want to be a mom who doesn’t stress over her kids

I want to be a mom who really talks to her kids

I want to be a mom who shows her kids that she loves their dad

I want to be a mom who continues to write

I want to be a mom who maintains her style

I want to be a mom who makes time for herself

I want to be a mom who has other mom friends

I want to be a mom who also has friends that aren’t moms

I want to be a mom who doesn’t mind bringing a baby into non-kid-friendly places

I want to be a mom who wakes up before her kids

I want to be a mom who makes her marriage a priority

I want to be a mom who is in love with motherhood

I want to be a mom who thinks of creative ways to do boring things

I want to be a mom who instills a love of books into her kids

I want to be a mom who is slow to anger and quick to forgive

I want to be a mom who has spur-of-the-moment fun with her kids

I want to be a mom who colors with her kids instead of just watching

I want to be a mom who doesn’t turn on the television as a babysitter

I want to be a mom who takes her role as homemaker seriously

I want to be a mom who uses every opportunity as a moment to teach

I want to be a mom who plays dress up

I want to be a mom who takes full advantage of naptime

I want to be a mom who is not ruled by her children

I want to be a mom who is thoughtful when making decisions

I want to be a mom who teaches her kids to care for others, by doing this herself

I want to be a mom who demonstrates compassion

I want to be a mom who makes time to read grown up books

I want to be a mom who cooks breakfast not just on special occasions

I want to be a mom who gets messy with her kids

I want to be a mom who does not act out of anger or fear

I want to be a mom who does not let kid stuff take over her house

I want to be a mom who would rather put her kid to bed at someone else’s house then leaving early
I want to be a mom who can say I’m sorry to a toddler

I want to be a mom who doesn’t cringe at the idea of pulling every pot and pan out to play

I want to be a mom who cooks with her kids

I want to be a mom who isn’t afraid to get dirty

I want to be a mom who documents everything

I want to be a mom who takes lots of pictures

I want to be a mom who is humble enough to take advice from others

I want to be a mom who has respectful children

I want to be a mom who isn’t always tired and frazzled

I want to be a mom who enjoys a quiet cup of coffee in the morning

I want to be a mom who teaches her children it’s okay to ask questions

I want to be a mom who instills a love for other cultures to her children

I want to be a mom who is a parent to kids of various nationalities

I want to be a mom who has kids who have friends of all different colors

I want to be a mom who still wears high heels

I want to be a mom who carries a purse and not just a diaper bag

I want to be a mom who is proud of her aging body

I want to be a mom who doesn’t always feel guilty spending money on herself

I want to be a mom who is okay saying no to her children

I want to be a mom who can laugh at herself
I want to be a mom who would do it all over again when it's over


*photo: my mom, pregnant with me in 1982. ignore the date, the camera must have been a month or two off because i was born at the end of May.

4 comments:

Rona said...

I think I got all but the last one. I would never want to do it all again. I love how it is now. Just me and my guy again. But I do believe you're on the right track....just one thing.....be a mom who doesn't feel guilty. That's the cancer that destroys all the other stuff.

Marisa said...

Rona beat me to the punchline... with only two years of motherhood under my belt, the hardest thing to learn how to do is not to beat yourself up when you fail and falter. It's important to have aspirations and goals, but never forget to extend yourself a whole lot of grace. You'll need it!

Signed, the mom who let her kid watch an hour of Thomas the Tank Engine while eating snacks on the couch - just so that she could respond to emails in peace. :)

jess said...

yeah, that's a good one -- thanks ladies!

Tam said...

I love this, Jess. You've really thought so much through, and you will be a wonderful mom. You are the perfect mom for this little one, never forget that. And I agree, remember the grace.
Signed, the mom who has frequently had to say "I'm sorry" to toddlers, and even 6 year olds. :)

 
Template by suckmylolly.com - background image by elmer.0