Saturday, February 13, 2010

thursday + a mystery


...Christ in us the hope of glory.
-Colossians 1:27

After getting my car stuck in  my driveway at 6:50 a.m.,
after shoveling myself out because Curtis was in the shower,
after ordering coffee and realizing my debit card was nowhere to be found,
after cancelling my card and ordering a new one,
after all of this {we} settled into our favorite spot on Lee and shared a bagel and sipped coffee while trying to wrap our heads around the person of Jesus.

This is not an easy task, especially not in an hour. So we discussed and looked up answers to some of our questions on the internet and circled back to this truth.

Christ in us the hope of glory.

It goes past knowing the words, or reciting the right things. 
Understanding the depth of these words go far beyond our understanding.

But do you believe it? We ask ourselves in the hidden moments between shoveling snow from behind spinning tires and the frantic panic that comes with losing something important.

Christ in us the hope of glory.

If we really believed this weighty phrase it would change the look of the church as it stands today.
It would change the way skeptics view Christians. It would change the way Christians view Christians.
And it would change the way I view myself, that’s for sure.

I don’t have the answers. I barely understand it.
But I believe it.

In all of its mystery.
In the midst of all of my questions and questioning.
I do believe it.


“-the mystery that has been kept hidden for ages and generations,
but is now disclosed to the saints.
To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles
the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.
-Colossians 1:26-27

3 comments:

The Harringtons said...

Jess--- Thank you! What a great reminder. We had such a fun time with you and Curtis last week. We always enjoy the laughs and good conversions with you two! -Leanne

Me said...

Jess-I love this. <3

jess said...

we had a great time too-i keep thinking of Mark cracking up at Mea - so cute!

 
Template by suckmylolly.com - background image by elmer.0