Friday, January 15, 2010

“I don’t want my house to simply be a furniture museum.”


That is the phrase that has stuck with me since I spoke with my friend {Judy} yesterday.


We were talking about using our lives {but our homes more specifically} to bless people. To make a difference, to meet needs and live open, generous and intentional lives. And part of that is what takes place within the walls of our homes.

I think I should start by telling you that Judy, and her husband Chris, {and their three most-lovely kids} are some of the most generous people I have ever met. They give without asking for return. They love without conditions and they have opened their home not only to Chris’ mom, but to pretty much anyone who shows up on their doorstep. {she could tell you some amazing stories, but I digress}

In her {and through her family} I have been shown an amazing example of generosity and what a truly open life looks like. So, as we were talking about this idea that we all have the opportunity {and responsibility really} to open up our homes {and our lives} to one another, to living with intentionality and acting with purpose greater than our own well-being, it was clear to me that I have a lot to learn from the friends that I keep.

I have said it before, but I don’t mind saying it again - each of my friends {and the ones that I don’t even know that well} have a myriad of different gifts to offer - some encouragement, some an amazing sense of thoughtfulness, some the gift of speaking the truth in love, some hospitality…and the list could go on and on.

I am one very lucky girl, a very lucky girl indeed when it comes to the company I keep.

“Friendship is the great chain of human society."
-James Howell

1 comments:

CitricSugar said...

Friends are the ones that make you strive to be a better person but love you even when you're not.

You're lucky indeed to have people that inspire you in your life and that you can call friends. :-) Me, too.

 
Template by suckmylolly.com - background image by elmer.0