Thursday, December 31, 2009

my perfect night

IMG_3996


I am not very photogenic. I know this about myself and I'm okay with it.
However, my new camera lens (an EF 50mm f/1.8II, given to me as a gift from some of my favorite girls) may be changing all that.
Even me, with tongue exposed in our low-lit kitchen, i don't look half bad. Weird, yes. Bad, no.

Last night we spent the evening how we should have been spending every evening in December.
With camera in hand, we went first to gorge ourselves with sushi. Except for one unfortunate moment where Curtis, (who hates the seaweed in sushi) could barely get a piece down and almost lost his lunch (or his dinner) at our table, our dinner was lovely. Maybe it was all the cold meds I had been taking, but I was in a rare mood, making everything, even the near-vomit incident, laugh-worthy.

After dinner we walked down to Barnes & Noble bookstore and wandered through the shelves, with only the intention to each buy a daily calendar for our offices. But, having not bought a book in a long, long time, my dear, loving husband had sympathy on me and bought me not one, but TWO books. I was in heaven and even kissed him in public, which i almost never do.

We then wandered through a fancy kitchen store, where Curtis pretended he was interested in buying an espresso machine, so they'd make him a shot and then just as we approached Anthropologie (which I was beside myself about visiting, after over a year since my last visit), they were locking the doors, literally as we approached. I was devastated, but got over it quickly as we walked hand in hand back to our car.

On our way home I fidgeted with my camera, taking pictures of the passing Christmas lights and silent streets. We took the long way home and laughed all the way home, despite my still sore throat and runny nose. At one point, he turned to me and said,

"Why don't we do this more often?"

"I'm not sure," I responded. And I'm not.

At home we snuggled on the couch and watched an episode of Mad Men, before heading to bed, where i folded back the front cover of my new book, smelled that familiar new book smell and sighed while entering my literary happy place.

This has been a good year, I think to myself.

0 comments:

 
Template by suckmylolly.com - background image by elmer.0